10 May 2008

play ball!

Today was Nolan's first day of baseball ever. He's been talking about it for weeks now, but you never would have guessed by his reaction today: fear to the point of panic. He was crying, kicking and screaming to go home!

After severe coaxing and reassuring, a bribe for a Wendy' frosty (an ENORMOUS frosty, in Nolan's words), and three attempts to make it to home plate before running away, Nolan was brave enough to hit! This was a big step! (Not sure why he was so afraid...his coach is the friendliest-looking person I've ever seen!)

Unfortunately, I know exactly how Nolan feels. I remember being his age, all dressed-up in my dance costume, standing back-stage and watching the rest of my dance class perform my number in the dance recital. Although completely panic-stricken, I did eventually make it out on stage...not sure how much of the routine I missed, however. Now I have a glimpse of what my mom must have gone through trying to help me to overcome my fear to the point of moving forward.

3 comments:

Lisita said...

What a cute story and the perfect bribe!

Shannon said...

so gald he finally participated. Did he end up liking it? What did you think? Love the story about little Karla in a dance costume too scared to dance!

I love bribes. Unfortuntely I use them for nearly everything these days. Yesterday I had to bribe Colby to go up with the rest of the primary to sing me mothers day songs and then about 15 min. later, he was bribed to give his talk in primary.

Erin said...

Yes, bribes are priceless. What a cute picture of him getting ready to hit the ball. And I see he's already wearing a cool baseball cap, just like his dad.