26 June 2009

behind closed door

Does anyone else have experience trying to keep an adventurous two-and-a-half year-old inside her room at bedtime????

Believe me, she's come up with every excuse in the book to escape from her room, and it's too bad that she's so cute at the delivery. Case in point, I'm trying to lay her back down in bed (for the third time in one night) and she's squeezing me in the biggest hug of the century,

"I wuv you SO MUCH!!!!"

What a time for affection. She pulled out all the stops.


A couple of nights ago, I'd had it and decided she was better off locked in her room than at the mercy of my growing temper. So, I admit, I took a cue from my friend Diana and used a chair to block the lever from releasing, essentially barricading her in her room until she was asleep. It was one of the biggest toddler fits I've ever witnessed! Even better, Nolan actually slept through it! Amazing.

Some might call this cruel and unusual punishment....I prefer to call it responsible parenting. :-)

Oh, and Diana, she hasn't yet figured out that if she pulls up on the handle, it will still open. We'll see just how long that lasts!

2 comments:

Diana said...

We had the screaming fits for a few nights, but now Serena REALLY does not want it "locked." So I leave her door open a crack so she knows it is not locked and she is doing better at staying in bed.

Did I tell you that when Serena figured out to pull it up that I just tied it to the chair with a ribbon, works like a charm.

Happy Sleeping!

Lisa said...

thank goodness Ava hasn't realized that leaving her room at bedtime is an option... you know I'm jinxing myself right now.
And hello! How about that picture Macy drew on the etch-a-sketch?! Talk about advanced skills!!! I couldn't stop staring at it, I was so amazed! Awesome!