03 September 2009

pah-ree

Well, folks, it is time for me to face my ultimate travel anxiety (anxieties, let's be honest. I really wish it were singular! Once again, those of you who know me best, know exactly what I mean here). Jeremy and I are planning a trip to Paris! Eeeeek!

Flying stand-by, we may or may not actually make it, but if not Paris, we'll probably still try for Europe something.

So, here is my request for you....I need your advice. If you had only 3-4 days to see Paris, what would be at the top of your list? Plan B: Barcelona? London? Rome? Any recommendations?

9 comments:

James and Jenni McBride said...

I am so proud of you Karla! I know you are dreading this but you will love it. Let me know what I can do to help out. Get the mail, help fill in with the car pool, water your garden (I promise not to let yours die like mine!) Go and have fun! Just remember to bring one of your favorite neighbors back some chocolate. BTW, Jackson told me to tell Jeremy, bring it on!

Lisita said...

Ah, Paris. This is my dream! I'll dig out some info for you and email you.

Lynette said...

Go to Rome, the food there is too delicious for words. I've never been to Paris, so the food there is probably good too. I've been to Southern France, not that fun. Except for the beach. In Cinque Terre, Italy there is a site called "walk of love." It is dubbed as being a romantic walk where you put your name and the name of the person you love on the wall and then your love will last forever. Honestly, it's a cement walkway with cement walls and it is overpriced. Not that romantic, so don't waste your time if you're short on it.

In Barcelona you should go see Sagrada Familia, designed by Antoni Gaudi. It's amazing. Also in Barcelona, you should see Park Guell. I liked the park more than Sagrada Familia. The park has more works by Antoni Gaudi and his house is there (its a little museum). There is no other park like it anywhere in the world.

In London go see the London Eye, it's like a big ferris wheel and you get great views of London at the top. Go on the double decker bus tours, you can see a lot of London that way in a short amount of time. Also go see the Shakespeare Globe theater if you have time. Go to Piccadilly Circus, it's the Times Square of London. You must go see the Tower of London. It is a royal palace and was also used as a prision. It has some great history. I also suggest Hampton Court Palace. If you had kids with you I would say go to LegoLand in Windsor, but it is just like any other amusment park and isn't worth your time if you only have a few days.

Whew, I'll let you know if I think of any more stuff to do in Europe.

Erin said...

Oh, boy. If you are going to Paris, you asked the right person.

My favorite place in all of Paris is the top of the Arc de Triomphe. You can see all of Paris, and looking down at l'Etoile (all roads lead to the arc) is crazy and exciting.

If you have any France questions, you know where to contact me!

P.S. Can I fit in your suitcase??

Brooke said...

Pretty much I am so jealous! I think it's amazing you are going! So fun!

Suzanne Bjornn White said...

Okay, I've been throughout most of Europe, and here are the must-sees, if you like art anyway. Obviously, the Louvre (the Mona Lisa lives there). Then there's the Muse D'Orsay, which houses a lot of impressionist works. Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame are a given, and be sure to walk through the Latin and Greek districts, which are by Notre Dame. Go see the Arch de Triumphe and go on a river cruise down the Seine, which will pass by Notre Dame and is just beautiful. Make sure to eat a pain au chocolate too. Sooo good!

London, see a Broadway or Shakespeare play if you can, go to Trafalgar Square, the British Museum or British Library, St. Paul's Cathedral, ride the Underground, see Big Ben and Westminster Abby.

If I were you, I'd hit Florence instead of Rome. Florence is crazy but beautiful and has soooo much to do and see.

I'm so jealous! You'll have a ton of fun though! :) When are you going?

Shannon said...

I know you've heard from me already but....Church of the Sacred Heart. (I forget the french name). A-mazing. And the "district" (if that's what they are called) that it is in is so quaint and charming with artists all around painting the landscape, fresh crepe stands, etc. That was my fav. Next would be Versailles (sp?)- seriously breathtaking and worth the trip there (it's maybe 30-45 min?? outside Paris). Go to my blog post about Paris and I think I have the correct names etc. And come over for some peach pie (we tried calling you today) and we'll talk more.
http://csrichinsfamily.blogspot.com/2008/09/finally-stamp-in-my-little-blue-book.html

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

The only comment I have is "TAKE ME!!!!"